Saturday, December 13, 2008

Lift Off


Depending on who, the star-date is 2008 CE, 5768 in the Hebrew calendar, 4706 for the Asian citizens and approximately, if I calculated correctly, 1429 on the Islamic calendar. I tried Mayan, but that's a bit complicated.

My name is Richard Nielsen, Rick to most. Welcome to you.


It's December 13, my twin uncle and aunt's birthday.



As usual in the North West, its cloudy and chilly, but I have the warm pleasure of enjoying a view of the yard with juncos, towhees, finches, sparrows, jays sparring for lunch on the two birdseed feeders just outside the window.



In starting this blog, I get to be a reverse voyeur and expose various thought and observations for whomever seeks and finds this site. Kind of like Robert Neville in Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend" recording observations and studies for whomever finds the recordings. However, unlike the character I'm not battling vampires, or zombies in the 2007 movie version.


But am I? While I question the probability of vampires inhabiting the local municipality, zombies appear to be on the increase in the guise of the ignorant, those incapable of independent thought, willing followers of angry, ranting TV & radio talk show hosts and the masses who decide that following without question is the best way of life, among others.


It's those zombies who I am most concerned about. They wander through our cities and rural areas, moaning and walking pedantically along sidewalks, streets and sitting next to their co-workers, taking up space and threatening to contaminate anyone nearby.


HOWEVER, those who have the curiosity, question life and people around them, are willing to acknowledge the infinite expanse and mystery of the cosmos, and want to be alive, bring light and possibility to the world around them. This also includes most little children.


They battle the zombies by their mere existence. Yay for them.


Thus, the yin and yang that can be applied to virtually everything is kept in balance with the zombies and the awake living.




Like many other blogs, my observations will continue forth. I look forward to this amusement in life.


Plus, it gives me a chance to share my humor and many many stories and life experiences which some already dread in their impending approach.




1 comment:

  1. Nice opening Rick. I am sure we will all enjoy a peak inside your cosmos. Watch out for the zombies!

    ReplyDelete